Sunday, June 28, 2009

Time out in public

So, I have been doing a lot of thinking recently about how to work with time out in public...and I think that is why people think that time out doesn't work because they can't do it everywhere or it isn't convenient...so recently, I have been taking advantage of the changing tables in restrooms to give Easton his time outs...then we are behind a closed door, I can sit him down on it and keep a hand on him, but he is removed from all of the attention of everyone else...I don't talk to him or give him any other attention until he apologizes for what he has done...

**I have always just sat them down where we were in a store or a resturaurant...whatever, but I really have liked this recently...it takes away more of the attention from onlookers that smile at them or frown at them sympathetically (they have no idea why they feel sorry for them!)...

At times, Easton has been taken in there because he is screaming about something and I am embarrassed, but this works, too---because screaming in the restroom is better than all over the store...once they realize they can't get away with it...they quit...I think sometimes that carrying them screaming through the store to get to the car is more attention for them than anything...Unless they know they are missing out on something once they get to the car (it really depends on the age)...

The other day, Easton was acting like a real toot and I asked him if we needed to go to the restroom to talk...he said yes...(which he never does)...I was a little taken back, but I went with him and we sat in time out. He wanted to talk to me and I told him no that we come to the restroom to sit in timeout when he is making bad choices...he then got upset and said he wanted to leave and "talk to his mommy"...I loved that!! So, he apologized and we left and were able to visit on the way out...we will see the next time what his response is about going to the restroom...

No comments:

Post a Comment